30 Sep 2020
Wesgro Webinar | Exporting to the UK post EU exit
HOST: Erica Joubert, from Wesgro
- Tim Harris, from Wesgro.
- Denan Kuni, from Wesgro.
- Niki Kruger, from the DTIC.
- Charlie Morris, from the UK Department for International Trade.
- Sam Legare, from the Department of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development.
- MEC David Maynier, Western Cape Government.
- Alderman James Vos, Mayoral Committee member for Economic Opportunities and Asset Management, City of Cape Town.
The United Kingdom left the European Union on 31 January 2020, subject to a transition period until the end of December 2020.
Once the transition period ends, trade between South Africa and the UK will no longer take place under the EU-SADC Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA), but rather under the new Southern African Customs Union plus Mozambique (SACUM) – UK Economic Partnership Agreement.
This webinar provides exporters with a general overview of the SACUM-UK EPA, as well as export opportunities to the UK under the new EPA.
• General overview of the SACUM-UK EPA & its implementation,
• Opportunities for exports to the UK post-EU exit,
• Readiness of the UK to receive SA imports directly and via EU – infrastructure, logistics and administrative processes,
• Update on trade negotiations between UK and Europe, and
• Potential impact of EU exit on SA exports and value chains, e.g. cumulation and transshipment of SA products.