Eden District Municipality accepts invitation to attend China’s Belt & Road Summit 2018
Among key representatives from the district is Eden DM Executive Mayor, Councillor Memory Booysen, and Mr Monde Stratu, Eden DM Municipal Manager. Accompanying the delegation is Wesgro’s Investment Promotion Manager for Special Projects, Rehana Boolay.
Themed “Collaborate for Success”, the Belt and Road Initiative is a visionary blueprint that seeks to enhance global economic development. Taking place at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, the exhibition boasts: over 3000 government officials and business leaders, over 40 prominent international speakers, 210 one-to-one business-matching meetings, over 40 exhibitors, over 60 Chinese mainland and overseas delegations, and 170 plus investment projects.
Key engagements include a meeting with the Executive Director of New China Time Technology (NCTT) and Co-Founder of the China-South Africa Bridge (CSA), Dr Hongbin Chen.
Dr Cheng forms part of the Chinese delegation that visited the Garden Route on two previous occasions, with a keen interest in the region as an investment partner. During his second visit to the Garden Route, he and his delegation met with various Small, Medium and Micro Enterprises to discuss possible trade opportunities. Dr Cheng indicated that they intend to establish trade relations with the Garden Route regarding Agriculture and Agri-processing, Renewable Energy Technologies, as well as Cultural Tourism - which will be facilitated through the assistance of Wesgro.
The district identified the following objectives for the trip:
• Present the region as a suitable destination for trade and investment by meeting with Chinese business and government representatives;
• Hold strategic engagements and form possible partnerships;
• Discuss the establishment of a possible Communication Centre to enable efficient communication between the two countries (Communication Centre’s have already been established in Korea, Thailand and Germany, with one underway in the Netherlands);
• Investigate trade and investment opportunities regarding agriculture an agri-processing, renewable energy technologies, as well as Tourism;
• Conduct site visits to familiarise the Eden team with practical solutions to various economic initiatives specifically in the fields alluded to above.
Supporting the trip, Boolay added: “Eden DM have undertaken numerous initiatives in the first half of this year to ensure their investment readiness – addressing shortcomings and eliminating obstacles that were unfriendly to an investment environment. Eden DM is ready for this summit and we look forward to connecting and unlocking synergies with project owners, operators, investors and service providers from a myriad of business sectors.”
Wishing the team a successful visit, Wesgro CEO Tim Harris, concluded: “We are proud to see the Eden District going from strength to strength, with keen interest already been shown from previous inward missions from Chinese delegations. It is an honour and a notable achievement to be invited to attend a summit of this stature and we wish the Eden District delegates all the best as they expand their foot print in a key trade market.”
Wesgro Investment Promotion offers a free and confidential facilitation service to companies and organisations looking to establish and grow in a first-class African business destination. Please reach out to the Investment Promotion team - firstname.lastname@example.org - to see what we can do for your business.
Issued by Wesgro Media Team, 21 June 2018.