MEDIA RELATIONS OFFICER
This is a three year contractual position subject to the successful candidate signing a Performance agreement. A six month probation period applies. An all-inclusive market related remuneration package will apply.
Reference Number: BM/CO
Purpose of the position:
The Media Relations Officer will be responsible for moderating and managing communications between the agency and various media outlets such as print, broadcast and digital.
The officer will assist the Chief Communications Officer to effectively lead and manage the communication for the agency and its various units through media releases, opinion pieces and media events.
The officer will be required to maintain and improve relationships with media sources and journalists to obtain optimum media coverage for the agency.
To assist the Chief Communications Officer to effectively lead and manage the Marketing and Communication Value Chain in designated areas by promoting the Western Cape so that the Agency can achieve its key performance objectives, as defined in the current business plan.
The applicant must be in possession of an appropriate PR or Marketing Degree or equivalent qualification • At least 5 years’ experience within the Public/Media relations industry • Drivers Licence.
• The ideal candidate will have a strong mix of the following skills and capabilities: Editorial skills specifically in English • Excellent writing skills • Communication and presentation skills • Problem solving abilities • Networking and stakeholder management • Should enjoy taking initiative and be creative and innovative • Willing to work long and flexible hours where necessary • Industry structure and leadership skills • Fluent in more than one South African Language
• Flexible, honest, adaptable and reliable.
Will include by not limited to:
• Writing and distribution of media releases to targeted media databases
• Writing and distribution of opinion pieces for the agency
• Posting of content produced on social media channels to ensure maximum reach
• Writing and publishing of articles that promote Cape Town and the Western Cape
• Generation and maintenance of media databases
• Ensure the agency protects and promotes its image in a proper, coordinated and consistent manner
• Cultivate and enhance collaborative working relationships within the press and publicity community
• Manage the flow of news about the agency to the media
• Enhance the effectiveness of the publicity function within the agency though digital (e.g. newsletters) and social media to media and clients
• Act as a media spokesperson (when required) on behalf of the agency and address questions and complaints
• Develop relationships with international, national, provincial and local media to ensure agency and province’s reputation is correctly promoted
• Plan and oversee media events with assistance from the Stakeholder Officer
• Plan and oversee media interviews
• Detect public relations issues as they emerge and address them quickly and directly
• Assemble press kits
• Compose and edit company literature
• Track media coverage and report monthly
• Monitor current affairs affecting the agency and its units
Should you comply with all the aforementioned, and if you are computer literate and in possession of a valid Code B driver’s license and passport, you should not hesitate to apply.
You will report to the Chief Communications Officer
Forward your application accompanied by a detailed CV to:
The Human Resource Department,
PO Box 1678, Cape Town, 8000;
Preferably email your CV to: email@example.com
CLOSING DATE: 20 March 2019
Direct all enquiries to Jacqui Harry: Human Resources, on 021 487 8600
Should you not have received any response from us within 14 days after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful