Trade and promotion missions
These include, among others, the Cape Town International Animation Festival, Encounters South African International Documentary Festival, Wavescape. Some of the other popular events include: Tri-Continental Film Festival, Schnitz Short Film Festival South African Eco Film Festival, and the Design Indaba Film Festival .
In conjunction with sector-related associations, Wesgro helps to co-ordinate various trade missions and international events to promote the South African film and media sector. As a co-production treaty member, these events offer significant exposure to many international markets.
The national sector associations, such as the Documentary Filmmakers’ Association (DFA) and the Writers’ Guild of South Africa (WGSA), also take delegates to industry markets every year.
Some of these include:
• HotDocs (Toronto)
• Sheffield Doc/Fest (Sheffield)
• International Documentary Film Festival (Amsterdam)
• NATPE (Miami and Budapest)
• London Screenwriters’ Festival (London)
• Story Expo (Los Angeles)
• Cartoons on the Bay, Pulcinella Awards (Venice)
• China International Cartoon and Animation Festival (Hangzhou)
• Annecy International Animation Film Festival and its Market (Mifa) (Annecy)
• Animation and VFX Summit (Los Angeles)
• Cannes Film Festival (Cannes)
• Durban International Film Festival – Durban FilmMart (Durban)
• Mip TV and Mip Com (Cannes)
• Cannes Lions (Cannes)
• Venice International Film Festival (Venice)
• Toronto International Film Festival (Venice)
• American Film Market (Santa Monica)
• Rio Content Market (Rio de Janeiro)
• Hong Kong FilmMart (Hong Kong)
• DISCOP (Johannesburg)
• IDFA (Amsterdam)
• Tribeca Film Festival (New York)
• Sundance Film Festival (Salt Lake City)
• Berlinale – European FilmMart (Berlin)
• International Film Festival Rotterdam – CineMart (Rotterdam)
The various professional associations, including the South African Writers Guild, Make Games SA, AnimationSA, Documentary Filmmakers Association, Editors Guild, and others, run local industry events on a monthly basis in Cape Town. Please see their websites for dates and details.